I absolutely loooooove hummus and I make some kind of hummus-dip every week. I love to experience with my hummus "cooking" by adding different healthy ingredients. Hummus-dips & spreads are such a good way to make salads and vegetables extra yummy and interesting!
When it comes to what I add to my hummus I only have one rule:
Forget about that garlic powder & forget about that plastic lemon.
Natural Hummus is Happy Hummus!
My Hummus Base
1 can of ready-to-use chick peas (approx. 240 g)
3-4 cloves of garlic
juice from 1/2 lemon
50-100 ml olive oil
50-100 ml water
I use a blender and just add all ingredients (not all liquid at once though) and blend it!
My Favorite Hummus Adds
Chili (fresh or dried)
Roasted nuts (walnuts, hazelnuts, almonds, pine nuts etc.)
Lentils (adds protein, not so much flavor difference from chick peas)
Sun dried tomatoes
My Happy Hummus Tips
- Don't add too many extra ingredients to your base! Keep it simple. Two ingredients is yummy to, for example broccoli & feta hummus-dip!
- I almost always add chili no matter which kind of hummus-dip I'm making - I love chili!
- I've started to replace 1/3 or or 1/2 of the chickpeas in my base with lentils as lentils have more protein than chickpeas and I find that the flavor and consistency is the same
- I find that most veggies and nuts get so much more flavorful if you roast them on the pan before you add them to your hummus
- Remember veggies have to be cooked before you add them to the hummus - the softer the easier to blend smooth!
Do you have any hummus tips? Please Share! And subscribe to Shanghaihabits so I can continue to share with you!
Enjoy your happy natural hummus & dip with vegetable sticks or with your salad!