Avocado is such a healthy food to bring into your diet and I personally eat avocado several times a week in all sorts of ways... I get avo-hungry just thinking about it!!
- I add avocado to smoothies (+ apple or + banana or my newest favorite: + persimmon)
- I put it in salads as chunks or as a mashed dip (just add lemon and chopped onion)
- I spread it on toasted ryebread (If you haven't tried this one you are missing out!!! The simple combination of mashed avocado and toasted bread is just like heaven on a plate!)
- Oh and now I also add it to soups!
Yes! A-V-O-C-A-D-O and S-O-U-P in the same sentence. I'd never seen it, tried it or even heard about it until recently where I was "researching" for good hearty and also interesting soups for my Nutritious November. But I can tell you one thing: as soon as I learned that there is such thing as Avocado Soup there was no doubt that I was going to try it. And that I was going to love it #avocado #addict as we would say on Instagram.
Here we go:
Creamy Avocado Soup
1 cup of cream
1/2-1/1 liter of vegetable stock
A dash of Tabasco (or another form of spicy dash)
Lots of Basil or Cilantro (save some for topping)
- Optional: Add spinach for more green nutrition
- Optional: your favorite soup topping (e.g. chopped nuts, seeds, croutons)
Cut the avocados and onion in chunks and add it to the blender with cream, herbs, spinach, vegetable stock, Tabasco and lime. You might have to make 2 portions because of the blender capacity. Add seasoning until you love the flavor even more and serve with toppings!
Serve it directly as a warm soup or put it in the fridge/freezer until chilled. I loved the cold version, my boyfriend preferred it warm.
- Tip: If you're in a hurry or impatient just blend with ice cubes for the chilled version and put less water with the stock.
- If you can't find vegetable stock you can either choose a chicken stock if you're fine with that or cheat and use a vegetable soup in powder form which you mix with hot water just like stock)
With Love From FIELDS China
FIELDS Lifestyle which is the concept behind FIELDS China online grocery store is always keeping an eye on us expats in Shanghai - what's going on season- and holiday-wise, what are we expats missing when living here in the Middle Kingdom, how can our lives here be made easier, what do we need, want, desire...
No doubt about what I desire and work hard towards: Healthier, Happier & Safer Habits - especially food & fitness wise. Many people show interest in this field in Shanghai these days and I experience a lot of support and positive vibes around topics such as safe grocery shopping, new fitness offerings, healthy eateries. FIELDS Lifestyle is a strong supporter of initiatives focusing on expats lifestyle and the improvement of it so my soup project is all based on fresh, safe groceries from their online grocery shop.
What I like about FIELDS' approach is that they do an effort to engage & inspire. Last month they did Detox Express with me and 4 other bloggers in Shanghai. They provided ingredients, we provided recipes and the result was a month-long colorful campaign with smoothie packages, recipes and inspiration for Shanghai expats. This month we are all about soups so stay tuned!
This is what it's really all about: Sharing & Caring!